A major IHSA activity is facilitating the International Conference of Humanitarian Studies every two years. For more information about our last conference, please visit the conference website.
Are you interested in hosting our next Conference on Humanitarian Studies? More information can be downloaded here.
- 2009 – The first World Conference of Humanitarian Studies was held in February 2009 in Groningen, the Netherlands, and was organized by the universities of Wageningen, Groningen (Netherlands) and Bochum (Germany). It was attended by 450 participants. During this conference the International Humanitarian Studies Association was launched.
- 2011 – The second World Conference of Humanitarian Studies, organized by the International Humanitarian Studies Associational (IHSA) and hosted by Tufts University in Medford, USA, took place from June 2-5, 2011. The conference focused on ‘Changing Realities of Conflict and Crisis‘.
- 2013 – The third IHSA conference took place in Istanbul, Turkey, from October 24 to 27, 2013. The conference was jointly organized by the Kadir Has University, the Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies at Coventry University, and the International Humanitarian Studies Association. The focus was on ‘Human Security: Humanitarian Perspectives and Responses.’
- 2016 – The 4th IHSA conference was organized in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from 5 to 8 March 2016. The main theme of the conference was ‘Changing Crises and the Quest for Adequate Solutions’. Conference publication can be found here.
- 2018 – The 5th IHSA conference took place in The Hague, the Netherlands from 27-29 August 2018. The conference topic was on: (Re-)Shaping Boundaries in Crisis and Crisis Response. Find the panel and paper overview from the 2018 conference here.
- 2020 – Visit the 2020 conference website.
- Will you host our next conference? Send in a Proposal to host the next conference on Humanitarian Studies to email@example.com